What is Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy?
- Ketogenic diet is one of the oldest forms of medical treatment for Epilepsy
- It is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate diet
How does the Ketogenic Diet control seizures?
- Fasting has long been associated with reduced seizures frequency
- Ketones are produced during extended periods of fasting
- When a fast is broken with foods that contain carbohydrates or protein, seizures return
- The Ketogenic diet that is consistently reduced in carbohydrates, adequate in protein, and high in fat will mimic fasting state and also produce ketones
What type of seizures respond well to the Ketogenic Diet?
- The ketogenic diet has been described to be effective for different types of seizures
How effective is the Ketogenic Diet in Controlling Seizures?
- It can be effective in treating individuals with drug resistant Epilepsy from infancy to adulthood
- 60% of children who try a supervised Ketogenic Diet experience 50% greater reduction in seizure frequency
- 40-50% of adults who try a supervised Ketogenic Diet experience a 50% or great reduction in seizure frequency
How long would someone stay on the Ketogenic diet?
- This will need to be discussed with your physician
- The Ketogenic Diet should never be attempted on your own.
- It should be attempted only with the supervision of your medical team
**Stay tuned for full Ketogenic Diet Therapy for Epilepsy feature coming soon**